How to Whiten Teeth? : Yellow looking teeth may often seem to tarnish the pleasant appearance of an individual, and sometimes be the ultimate reason behind those shy, hidden smiles. It is in fact undoubtedly common for the teeth to turn yellow, especially when you are a frequent smoker or caffeine consumer. Eating dark colored foods and regular consumption of acidic drinks may also lead to the yellowing of teeth. But it’s not always the condition lies within your control- sometimes, discoloration of teeth takes place when the enamel of your teeth gets thin, revealing the yellow tint of the teeth beneath it. Several types of medications, ageing and even genetics are some of the contributing factors to this condition.
So here is what we have got in line to help you out today- a list of home remedies that whiten teeth and improve its overall hygiene and appearance, all in a go!
DIY Homemade Natural Teeth Whitener
Home Remedies to Whiten Teeth – DIY Homemade Natural Teeth Whitener
1. Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide: Hydrogen peroxide is anti-bacterial in nature, thus makes teeth and gums cleaner and germ-free.
Take a teaspoon each of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Mix them well to form a paste. Replace this paste with your regular toothpaste, and brush your teeth with this twice in a week, or until your teeth turns white again.
2. Oil Pulling: As odd as it may sound, oil pulling using coconut oil can actually help to whiten the teeth. Take a tablespoon of coconut oil and swish it around in your mouth for a few seconds. Alternatively, you may use a few drops of coconut oil to brush your teeth with and follow up with your regular toothpaste later on. Not only does this help to whiten your teeth, but the anti-microbial property of coconut oil will also keep the gums healthy.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar rids the stubborn, yellow stains of teeth caused by especially caffeine and smoking. Dip your toothbrush into a tablespoon of ACV and brush your teeth with it. Follow up with your regular toothpaste afterward. Make sure to be consistent with this remedy for about a month and you will see your teeth turn brighter than ever.
4. Charcoal: You will need activated charcoal for this method. Take about 2-3 tablets of activated charcoal, which can be easily obtained at local drug stores. With the help of a fork or pestle, crush the tablets until they turn into a fine powder. Now use your fingers to rub this on your teeth for 30 seconds before gargling with water. You will notice an instant difference in the texture and color of your teeth.
5. Lemon and Orange Peels: This is an excellent method to whiten your pearlies. The acidic nature of lemon or orange will help rid your teeth of those nasty stains and give you a whiter set in no time.
Boil the peels of lemon and orange peels in a glass of water for about 7-10 minutes. Let it cool and gargle your mouth with this homemade natural mouthwash regularly for a month for visible results.
6. Salt: Salt is one of the most common of methods that have been used for a long time now. You can use salt to whiten teeth in following ways:
- Method 1: Mix common salt with your regular toothpaste every time you brush.
- Method 2: Mix salt with powdered activated charcoal tablets and brush with this twice a day.
- Method 3: Mix baking soda with common salt and rub it all over your teeth to whiten them.
You may gargle with water as usual once done brushing your teeth with any of these.
7. Strawberries: This is a tried and tested method that works instantly. The trick is done by the malic acid found in strawberries which removes the discolored layer of your teeth. But bear in mind not to overdo this remedy, as its acidic nature may corrode your enamel. Simply squash a few strawberries and rub the pulp all over your teeth, then rinse off with water. It is the best that you practice this once in a week.
8. Clay: Clay is a gentle polish for the teeth as it is soft on gums and enamel due to its non- abrasive nature. You have to use kaolin clay for this method, which you should gently brush your teeth with. Try this method regularly for a month for best results. Another method is to mix clay powder with hydrogen peroxide (remember to use a low concentration of hydrogen peroxide, 2-3.5%). Brush your pearlies with this mixture regularly and watch the magic happen!
9. Banana Peel: The peel of a ripe banana is said to be rich in potassium and magnesium. This helps in lifting up stains and polishing the teeth. This method is rather safe as banana peel is very gentle on teeth enamel and gums. For this, you will need just the peel of a ripe banana. Rub it on your teeth for 2-3 minutes. Brush as usual with your regular toothpaste afterwards. Repeat this twice in a week to whiten teeth in no time.
10. Crunchy Fruits and Vegetable
Crunchy fruits and vegetables, like apples, pears, celery, cabbages, serve as a natural toothbrush. Chewing these frequently will remove microbes that are likely to generate the unsightly yellow layer of plague from your mouth.
Some other preventive measures to be kept in mind:
1. Set up a routine, adopt healthy oral hygiene, and be consistent with the remedies and methods.
2. Most of the above-mentioned methods are quite acidic, for example, lemon peel and the apple cider vinegar method. Just remember to not over do these remedies as it might remove the protective coating of enamel, paving way for more teeth and mouth related problems.
3. Try to stop smoking and avoid consuming too much of coffee and tea. Brush your teeth three times a day especially after meals.
4. Do not forget to floss! Flossing your teeth will help you get rid of stains between your teeth. These are the areas that your toothbrush can’t reach, thus flossing can keep them clean which will in turn result in whiter teeth.
4. Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables: crunchy fruits and vegetables like carrots and apple act as natural toothbrush. Simply chewing them will help to scrub away all the unwanted stains and excessive bacteria from your mouth.
Do let us know which of these remedies worked out for you. Should you know some other tried and tested remedies for natural teeth whitening, let us know in the comments section below.